I've pretty much decided going forward that I will not watch any entertainment media that meets any of these criteria:
1. Police procedurals or other police centered shows - come on, this is one of the oldest TV tropes and I think we're all pretty tired of it. Besides, it's evident that police don't really investigate real crimes in the way that is portrayed.
2. Medical shows: How is a hospital entertaining? Also, I think we're all pretty aware that the medical system doesn't really work in real life like it does on TV.
3. Killing and maiming people is the main point of the show: Just tired of "entertainment" where the main point of it seems to be to portray human suffering and death. I know a lot of entertainment has people dying in it and death is certainly a part of all of our lives but I have no interest in seeing killing, suffering, and death for the sake of it.
4. Horror shows: I'm just not a fan. I have enough to deal with without some show trying to make me more nervous than I already am.
5. Horrible people doing horrible things to each other: Not necessarily violent but just a show where the whole point is people being shitty to each other.
I think my first thoughts as to excluding certain things from my viewing came after I saw the movie "Sin City". If you step back and really look at what that movie is about, it's about torture, mutilation, and murder. There's literally nothing else going on. Why did I subject myself to that? After that I really started to be more discerning with what I was watching. Breaking Bad was another one, just horrible people being horrible to each other.
And I'm not trying to claim to have any great taste in TV or movies. I like a lot of trash TV like game shows and things like Antiques Roadshow. I have tried to shift my entertainment to things that are light and good natured instead of dark and violent like so many shows.
Ship of Fools - World Party
The Futures So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades - timbukthree
Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
Overkill - Men at Work
Waiting Room - Fugazi
Get What You Give - New Radicals
Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger
Sabotage - Beastie Boys
The Battle of Who Could Care Less - Ben Folds Five